Men's Assistant Cutter
To assist the Cutter/Draper in the construction and fitting of costumes.
EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION:
Any Combination of education and experience providing the required skill and knowledge for successful performance would be qualifying. Typical qualifications would be equivalent to:
- 2 years experience as an Assistant Cutter/Draper in a professional shop
- 1 year experience as a Cutter/Draper in a small professional shop
PREREQUISITE SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS:
- Knowledge of: principles and practices of construction of stage costumes; period costume cutting; and fabrics and fibers
- Knowledge of all applicable sewing machine operations
- Supervisory experience
- Ability to work independently; prioritize tasks; and exercise good judgment and initiative
- Ability to manage multiple, competing priorities successfully
- Outstanding interpersonal skills including the ability to interact with artists, staff, the public, and volunteers in a professional, confidential and tactful manner
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Assists in measuring and assigning existing costumes
- Takes notes for alterations from artists and the creative team during dress rehearsals.
- Assist Cutter/Draper at fittings and take notes whenever needed.
- Makes sure that every alteration is complete according to the notes taken at fittings.
- Sets up alterations or projects for the stitchers.
- Transfers muslin patterns to paper.
- Assists the Cutter/Draper at dress rehearsals, or stands in for the Cutter/Daper when needed.
- Manages team in Cutter/Draper’s absence, supervising stitchers and ensuring quality control.
- Responsible for draping, cutting garments, linings, flat linings, facings as delegated Cutter.
- Assist in planning the workload to ensure work is completed in a timely fashion.
E-mail required job application, cover letter and résumé with salary requirements directly to email@example.com or fax to (415) 634-0203. No phone calls please. San Francisco Opera only retains résumés that are sent in response to specific, posted job openings.
Qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for this position in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
SAN FRANCISCO OPERA IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY OF STAFF